Sunday, June 6, 2021

Portfolio Piece 01 - Week 03


For this week, I began work on retopology when it comes to my Amumu character. When it comes to retopology, I made sure to follow League of Legends art guidelines from previous contests hosted by Polycount and Rio as well as official League of Legends skins. Important points to know is that:

-There is no real limit to how much geo is allowed for the low poly. However, it is important to have the polycount be used optimally and not have dense geo for no good reason and vice versa. (After getting some feedback from Nick Zuccarello, I will be going back to take a quick look at my geo to see if I can optimize some areas. I had 99% of the model soft edged and I could definitely benefit from hard edging some areas if seams permit.

-The low poly should follow the high poly as far as shapes go, but let the finer details be baked in later to help with the AO and facilitate the diffuse map. Touching back on geo, I should also focus on making sure more apparent round areas more rounded and save polycount elsewhere.

-Make sure the wireframes are close to the high poly sculpt when it comes to matching the details to the sculpt. It will help facilitate the bake as well as the diffuse map better.

When it comes to the retopology, I also made sure to take a look at wireframes of professional League skins to see edge flow and the different topologizes for League characters.

As for polycount, I was able to 9.2 K tris when it comes to the whole model where Amumu himself takes about 5-6 K tris and the lights take up 2-3 K tris. With cleaning up more of the topology I should be able to bump down the count down maybe at most 1 K tris.


Zbrush Sculpt from previous week

Low Poly and Wireframe

As for the next step, I will begin UVing after doing a pass on the geo. Afterwards comes the baking, texturing, rigging, and final presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Research Project

 For my research project, I decided on learning more on about how to create stylized hair in Zbrush as well as focus on creating cleaner sha...