Sunday, July 25, 2021

Portfolio Piece 03 - Week 02

 Looks like my choice for the final portfolio piece of the semester was pretty ambitious for my current skill sets. As far as progress goes on Illaoi, I ended up getting some muscle definition into the sculpt as well as a start for her hair as seen below:

Current progress on sculpt

However after my 1 on 1 session with Nick and for the sake of time, we will be pivoting now to a prop asset instead with the goal to have a high quality well presented final product. Nick suggested to take a look at Lei Liu's handpainted 3D artwork and pick from there. While browsing, we a saw a lot of pieces revolving around a book. Afterwards, I remembered a concept art piece from a while back that I found interesting which is also a book.

Artwork by Valia Zhuk

It's inspired by one of my favorite animes and has a great handpainted aesthetic to it that I think would translate great into a 3D prop piece in the handpainted style. To jump start on the project, I began proxying right a way a bit before needing to get ready to head to school.

Progress on the proxy
Considering the difficulty of the piece and the length of time I have to complete it (2 weeks), I have outlined a plan to get it done:

Week 3: Proxy, high res sculpt in Zbrush, game res in Maya, UV/bake, begin texturing

Week 4: Finish texturing, presentation

Considering the complexity of the piece, I have added leeway for the 4th week in case anything comes up. With whatever time is left, I hope to also go and polish up on finish my previous portfolio pieces as well in time for Industry Review


No comments:

Post a Comment

Research Project

 For my research project, I decided on learning more on about how to create stylized hair in Zbrush as well as focus on creating cleaner sha...