Sunday, June 20, 2021

Portfolio Piece 02 - Week 01

 Time for my second portfolio piece for this summer of 3D Art! Keeping in tradition with what I had previously worked on, I will be continuing on working on League of Legends art based off of fan concept arts. This time, I will be focusing on Arcade Nautilus by Ron Broyde from Skintober 2020:

 

Original concept


I had originally stumbled upon this a few months ago when I simply googled for League of Legends fan skin ideas. One of the top searches happened to be this image which I quickly gravitated to as I am a big fan of the League of Legends Arcade skin line that focuses on retro video games in particular. When it comes to Nautilus here, he is literally a walking arcade cabinet and in place of a sea anchor for well his anchor, he has two light guns stuck together instead (which I didn't even realize when I originally saw it!) The colors used also give me a retro vibe as well. I just think it's pretty creative how Roy was able to think up this creation and got it to work with Nautilus's silhouette so well and embody his original shape language while adding his own twist and vibe to the champion. Additionally, when me and friend started playing League last year, Nautlilus was one of his first main champs he played, so I think it's cool for me to work on a skin design for him.

Some more references

As this concept design only really shows the front side of the champion, I have more liberties when it comes to how he looks from the back and in areas not seen. However, I will be contacting Roy to see if he has any input on how he would add to the character and help make his original idea come to fruition. As for my timeline on this piece, it'll go as follows:

Week 1: Plan out project/block out/sculpt high res version
Week 2: Polish sculpt, game res, and UV/Bake. Additionally I will be trying to rig early to help with texturing
Week 3: Finish rigging and start texturing
Week 4: Polish texturing and presentation

With how my Amumu went last time, I think the timeline is doable assuming I keep on top of it and don't fall behind. Falling behind will end up snowballing out of control, so I will need to be sure to stay on top of it and if anything end up giving myself leeway rather than no room for mistakes.

Initial Zbrush blockout for main body

Pushing the blockout more








No comments:

Post a Comment

Research Project

 For my research project, I decided on learning more on about how to create stylized hair in Zbrush as well as focus on creating cleaner sha...