Monday, June 28, 2021

Portfolio Piece 02 - Week 02

 For this week of my portfolio piece, I continued progressing my high res sculpt of Nautilus as well as his "anchor" (with this skin, it is two light guns combined stuck together with a handle). Prior to continuing on the piece, I reached out to the original creator of the concept, Ron Broyde to get his ideas on how he wanted the legs and back to be like. However, he stated he was too busy to concept more to the concept/did not have an idea for how they should be. He gave me the go ahead anyway to continue working on the skin and add to it how I see fit.

Original Concept

Zbrush sculpt so far

Zbrush sculpt of anchor

Zbrush sculpt of Nautilus

When it comes to the actual sculpting, I took my teacher Nick's advice to set up an image plane/spotlight to help with getting proportions more accurate to the concept. Once I did, I didn't realize how much of a difference it could make, as taking a look at how I had my block out last week, the difference is huge, at least when it came to the head area. Even though the concept is in a three quarter view, being able to have custom camera angles to go back to to help compare the proportions is a great help.

Having a spotlight image setup of the concept over my sculpt

When it came to sculpting areas that were not shown in the concept, I took to look at previous Nautilus skins to get inspiration how I could tackle areas like the leg. Upon my research, I was able to find the site Teemo.GG that has all the models of League champs to look at and study. I decided on Abyssal Nautilus as it appears he has armor over his actual leg parts. With this, I decided on having a thigh armor piece that I will add to and then have a tube like leg inside to fill the leg armor pieces.

Abyssal Nautilus

I had planned to get my sculpt done this week, however, the anchor took up a lot of my work time. Reason being is I decided to challenge myself and model and sculpt it all inside of Zbrush rather than taking it from Maya and then sculpt on it. That is the easier and more familiar approach, but I wanted to learn more of what Zmodeler has to offer and learn to do more inside of Zbrush as I have seen many wonderful sculpts created purely in Zbrush whether it be hard surface or organic. I started by making one light gun and then create the handle as well as triangle pieces to wedge the light guns in. I would bring over a merged light gun and mirror and weld the other side to create the symmetry. 

When it comes to what still needs to be done on the sculpt, I need to finish the leg armor pieces, polish on the jacket and zipper area for it, and then shoulder armor piece. I hope that the amount of time and effort I have put into the sculpt will pay off when I do my textures to save me time rather than paint in textures from scratch on a low poly.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Research Project

 For my research project, I decided on learning more on about how to create stylized hair in Zbrush as well as focus on creating cleaner sha...