Monday, July 19, 2021

Portfolio Piece 03 - Week 01

 Tis is the start of the third portfolio piece for 3D art and the final one of the semester. I have decided to a League fan skin in leu of the summer vibes as well as someone of the humanoid nature rather than a living item like my previous two skins. As such, I decided on with Pool Party Illaoi:

Concept Splash Art

I think this would be a cool piece to explore on top everything said already with all the different muscle groups on focus here. Illaoi is suppose to body an archetype different from what is typically seen in games when it comes to female bodies so it would be cool to explore a more muscular bodybuilder-esque physique.

When it comes to my research portion of this piece (as we are encouraged to dive into software/techniques we are not familiar with) to accompany our process in creating our third piece. When it comes to mine, I will be focusing a lot into the high res sculpt, especially when it comes to knowing better techniques and ways to create cleaner shapes through cleaner edges as well as understanding creating stylized hair as this piece has a focus on that.

References to be used

As far as schedules are concerned, here is the plan right now:

Week 1: Planning, blockout, and begin sculpting
Week 2: Finishing of sculpt, begin game res and UVs
Week 3: Finish game res, bakes, and begin texturing
Week 4: Finish texturing and make presentation ready

When it comes to the blockout, I started of using ortho views of the current in game model rather than the concept art as to be able to get in game proportions rather than the concepts. I made my focus on the shape, first before going in detail.

Initial blockout with shapes

Further blockout with flamingo floaty and hair blockout


When it came to the hair, I found a video by Stylized Station that covered a method to create clean stylized hair. The method involves blocking out the general shape and then using a free brush to create the bigger hair strands. After that, the hair strands can get tweaked to create variation. Below I used the main splash art to create blockout pieces. 

For the free brushes, these are the ones used in the video: 
https://dekren.gumroad.com/l/de_hair

The second brush is a braid, which I will not be using, but def can be of use in the future and whoever needs a neat braid brush.

Plan for hair by blocking out into pieces


The hair video

On top of the hair research, I got recommended by Youtube (thanks Youtube) a video on creating clean shapes which is akin to what Nick taught us in class












No comments:

Post a Comment

Research Project

 For my research project, I decided on learning more on about how to create stylized hair in Zbrush as well as focus on creating cleaner sha...